Sunday, July 4, 2010

ice cream

 


I like ice cream. Yes I do!
One scoop for me?
No! Make it two!
Hmmm two scoops of ice cream,
I want more
How about three?
No, make that four!
1, 2, 3, 4,
Splat! "oh no! It's on the floor!"


Most of us love ice cream and somehow I got the urge to surf about it. I got this ice cream poem somewhere , unfortunately the author is unknown. Somehow the idea fits and I just love it. Well, it's Sunday and I can't think of anything to blog about. Besides, I need to create rhymes and jingles for school nutrition contest and it boggles me. Maybe that is the reason why I thought of ice cream. Atleast it is something pleasant to think about... hmmmm.

Is ice cream bad for the health? Well, Here is what i found:


Below are 7 of the most common harmful synthetic chemicals found in conventional ice cream.

  1. Acetiel C17: An aniline dye that is used in the manufacture of plastic, rubber and pharmaceuticals. Aniline is a colorless, oily and poisonous benzene derivative. It is popular as an additive for ice cream because it has a tasty cherry flavor.
  2. Amyl Acetate: A powerful paint solvent that is commonly used as artificial banana flavoring.
  3. Benzyl Acetate: A nitrate solvent that is widely used as artificial strawberry flavoring.
  4. Butyrlaldehyde: An ingredient that is popular in cement. It is used as an artificial nut flavoring in conventional ice cream.
  5. Diethylglycol: A chemical that has emulsifier properties. It is popular for replacing eggs. It is also found in antifreeze. Maybe this is why it has the word “die” as a part of its name!
  6. Ethyl Acetate: A chemical that is popular for cleaning leather. Its vapors are known to be harmful to the lung, liver and heart. It is common in conventional ice cream because it gives it a pineapple-like flavor.
  7. Pepernial: A chemical that is popular for killing lice. Pepernial is used in ice cream to mimic the vanilla flavor because it has a vanilla-like taste.
Before buying ice cream make sure you read the ingredients list. If it contains some of the 7 chemicals above, you may want buy a different one. You should also avoid ice creams that have gums, stabilizers, artificial flavors and strange fancy words that you can’t understand listed as ingredients.




Ugh! I didn't expect to find that. But i don't think I could love Ice cream less. Foolish me... I guess I'd just be more carefull and read the contents.



   

Blog Advertising

2 comments:

  1. Ice cream, give it to my dragon they just eat ice like they are chewing a rice. one scoop not enough for them either.

    ReplyDelete